What makes a hero? This week we’re taking on tropes in American superhero comics and shonen battle manga, and talking about what makes these two similar genres entirely different. Who will win – brooding vigilantes or the power of friendship?
Special guest Elizabeth: Super Sons by Peter Tomasi & Jorge Jimenez (D.C Comics)
Kelly: Dreamin’ Sun by Ichigo Takano (Seven Seas)
It’s time for a SPOOKTACULAR Halloween pod about all things horror!! What makes a comic horror? Is it the ghosts? The gore? Kelly closes her eyes and tries not to freak out, while Angela revels in the blood.
Mentioned in this episode:
Comics and Manga
- Locke and Key, by Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodriguez (IDW)
- Revival, by Tim Seeley, Mike Norton, & Mark Englert (Image)
- Wytches, by Scott Snyder & Jock (Image)
- Nailbiter, by Joshua Williamson, Mike Henderson, & Adam Guzowski (Image)
- Outcast, by Robert Kirkman, Paul Azaceta, & Elizabeth Breitweiser (Image)
- The Walking Dead, by Robert Kirkman & Charlie Adlard (Image)
- Harrow County, by Cullen Bunn & Tyler Crook (Dark Horse)
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa & Robert Hack (Archie)
- Afterlife with Archie, by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa & Francesco Francavilla (Archie)
- Jughead the Hunger, by Frank Tieri & Michael Walsh (available only in single issue floppies) (Archie)
- Redlands, by Jordie Bellaire & Vanesa Del Rey (available only in single issue floppies) (Image)
- Through the Woods, by Emily Carroll (Margaret K. McElderry Books)
- Tokyo Ghoul, by Sui Ishida (Viz)
- Hellsing, by Kohta Hirano (Dark Horse)
- Uzumaki, by Junji Ito (Viz)
- Attack on Titan, by Hajime Isayama (Kodansha)
- Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, by Koyoharu Gotoge (Viz)
- Ajin: Demi-Human, by Gamon Sakurai (Vertical)
- Franken Fran, by Katsuhisa Kigitsu (Seven Seas)
- Parasyte, by Hitoshi Iwaaki (Kodansha)
- Gantz, by Hiroya Oku (Dark Horse)
- Killing Stalking, by Koogi (Lezhin)
- Hell Girl
Articles and Books
Angela: House of Penance, by Peter Tomasi & Ian Bertram (Dark Horse comics)
Kelly: Land of the Lustrous, by Haruko Ichikawa (Kodansha Comics)
Arrrrr! Pirates have invaded the podcast!! The ladies share their thoughts about digital comics and the proliferation of piracy in the manga market. Plus, Kelly talks you into reading her favorite book of 2017. Spoiler: it has bears and bayonets.
Angela: Vision Vol 1: Little Worse Than a Man by Tom King & Gabriel Hernandez Walta (Marvel Comics)
Kelly: Golden Kamuy by Satoru Noda (Viz)
What has you hungry today? Could it be FOOD COMICS?! Listen as Angela and Kelly discuss the tastiest manga and comic books that deal with food and cooking. From competitions in space to foraging in dungeons, there is no limit to what they will eat. Bonus content below includes some our favorite recipes. Is it time for lunch?
Angela: Chew by John Layman and Rob Guillory (Image Comics)
Kelly: Delicious in Dungeon by Ryoko Kui (Yen Press)
Angela: Don’t be intimidated, it’s so easy, Cream Puffs!!!!
Kelly: Yummy tea time snacks you don’t even have to slay living armor for: Molly Yeh’s Dark Chocolate Marzipan Scone Loaf.
The BIG Gay Episode is finally here. Angela and Kelly talk about how LGBTQ characters have progressed in comics, and how they are faring now. Many gay things occur.
Books mentioned in the pod that you should check out:
Moonstruck by Shae Beagle and Grace Ellis (Image Comics)
Batwoman (Rebirth) by Steve Epting and Ben Oliver and James Tynion IV and Marguerite Bennett (D.C Comics)
Zodiac Starforce (Vol. 1) by Kevin Panetta and Paulina Ganucheau (Dark Horse)
Lumberjanes (Vol. 1) Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis, Brooke Allen (Boom! Studios)
Princess Princess Ever After by Katie O’Neill (Oni)
What Did You Eat Yesterday? by Fumi Yoshinaga (Vertical)
My Brother’s Husband by Gengoroh Tagame and Anne Ishii (Pantheon)
My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness by Nagata Kabi (Seven Seas)
Wandering Son and Sweet Blue Flowers by Takako Shimura (Viz)
Book Recommendations and Reviews:
Angela: Locke & Key by Joe Hilland Gabriel Rodriguez (IDW)
Kelly: Monstress by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda (Image)
In this episode we ponder if Netflix is hurting or helping the world of anime. Kelly commits crimes #netflixjail and Angela gloats about how American comics are once again superior, especially in the world of Netflix. Also on the docket: does Castlevania count as anime?
Angela: Harrow County by Cullen Bunn & Tyler Cook (Dark Horse Comics)
Kelly: The Girl from the Other Side by Nagabe (Seven Seas)
Kelly and Angela dig into the world of women within the comics and manga industry. What’s the deal? Is it sexist? Where my wonderful women at? They also share their thoughts on the whole Marvel Milkshake hubbub.
Kelly: My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness by Kabi Nagata (Seven Seas)
Angela: Descender by Jeff Lemire & Dustin Nguyen (Image comics)